Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Christmas story

This is a story about the people who educate kids in the Glendale Elementary School District. It come to us from American Music Teacher Leah Knoepfel. We’ll let her tell the story:

Evita Chavez, Leah Knoepfel and The Bike.
“So here's the story. A few weeks ago I was talking with Evita Chavez (the Extended Day coordinator for American School) and asked how she was. She was her normal chipper self, but seemed a little sad. She said, ‘I'm bummed because I had my biked locked up at GCC [Glendale Community College]. In between classes I came back and it was gone. Someone must have cut off the lock and stolen it.’

“Evita does not have a car and so she had been riding her bike to and from Glendale American in the early mornings, to GCC for classes afterward, and then back to Glendale American after school to do her job for Extended Day. She had been walking and getting rides after the incident. Never complaining about it. Just getting rides every once in a while from a coworker here and there.

“On Monday afternoon I sent out an email to the [American] staff members, asking if anyone had an extra bike lying around at home that they didn't need. [SECC Resource teacher] Chris Sanchez said, ‘What kind of a bike does she want? I'll buy it. Just ask her what kind she'd like and I will get it for her.’

“So I asked Evita what kind of bike she'd like and she said, ‘I had a beach cruiser bike which was nice because it had a basket and I could carry my groceries with it.’

“Later the same day, [fifth grade teacher] Tony Balthis called me that evening and said, ‘I'd like to go in on helping purchase the bike. I have a truck. I can pick it up from Walmart. Let's find out if anyone else would like to get Evita a new bike.’

“Wednesday morning, and after school got out, we brought the bike to Evita at her office. All that had helped participate in purchasing the bike, and a few that were just thrilled to see her have something that she could ride again, came to give the beach cruiser to her. Evita cried and gave all of us hugs. She then road it around the cafeteria and later told me that she'd called her entire family to tell them about it.”

“She said to us: ‘My bike was stolen a few weeks ago from GCC. Today my co-workers surprised me with a new beach cruiser! They really touched my heart. No one has ever done anything like this for me before. I was surprised to see so many of them pitch in to help me out. I'm forever grateful, thanks to all!!!’   Merry Christmas!”

Merry Christmas indeed.

6 comments:

  1. That is what doing life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Love hearing stories like this. Community coming together to help out someone in need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys Rock!! You are AWESOME Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, heartwarming story! Just what is needed, to hear a great story like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I'm crying right now. The staff at Glendale American definitely know the true meaning of Christmas!!!
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!!!

    ReplyDelete